Let's talk skin
Enjoy Summer Travel without “Tripping” Up Skin with Tips from Control Corrective Skincare Systems®
January 29, 2015
IRVINE, CA (July 29, 2015) – While summer travel often provides a much-needed hiatus from work, school or simply the stresses of everyday life, “skipping out” on a healthy skincare regimen can have serious consequences for the complexion.
According to skincare expert Ellen Clark, founder of Control Corrective Skincare Systems, common summer travel conditions such as airplane trips, increased sun exposure, hotel stays and swimming can be anything but a vacation for skin.
“Healthy skin results from responsible skincare that never takes a holiday,” she said. “Make summer trips unforgettable – not regrettable – by remaining committed to protecting skin from travel’s most common triggers.”
- Beware recycled air. While the final vacation destination may be Hawaii or Mexico, skin may experience the likes of Death Valley on the plane ride there. Airplanes are a hydration zapper, as in-cabin relative humidity is similar to desert air. Prepare skin pre-flight with Control’s Hydrant Stabilizer (MSRP: $32),which enables it to hold on to crucial moisture, and keep a moisturizing mister like Control Balancing Tonic (MSRP: $28) in your carry on for on-the-spot hydration. Opt for water from the drink cart rather than soda or alcohol, and while they may be the last of the airplane “freebies,” pass on salty snack mixes.
- Save suitcase room for skincare. Skip the extra pairs of shoes, and instead make space in the Samsonite for the products that are part of your regular skincare regimen to ensure consistency for your complexion. Fill travel-size containers with core products –cleanser, moisturizer and sunscreen – or invest in convenient, airline carry on-size-approved products from your favorite professional line, like Control Starter Kits (pictured, MSRP: $33). Many moisturizers now come with an SPF, which can also save suitcase space.
- Have hotel soap backups. Don’t assume that hotel skincare products will suit your needs, especially if you have sensitivities. While some high-end resorts offer recognizable brands or professional lines from their in-house spa, most provide private-label mysteries. Always investigate ingredients, and avoid parabens, Sodium Laurel Sulfate and alcohol. Fragrance is the biggest allergen in skincare products, so stick to fragrance-free formulas or those scented with essential oils or fruit extracts.
- Moisturize, swim, repeat. Whether your days will be spent at the pool or the ocean, be aware that both chlorine and salt water will deplete skin’s natural hydration. Try to rinse off post-plunge, and follow with a reapplication of waterproof moisturizer and sunscreen. It’s easy to escape routine while on vacation, but don’t slack on your morning and before-bed moisturizing to maintain healthy hydration levels.
- Set a sunscreen reminder. To avoid sunburn and sun damage, reapply sunscreen often. Set a smartphone sunscreen reminder every two to three hours, and don’t forget those oft-forgotten spots like the scalp, the back of the knees and tops of the feet. Should you suffer a sunburn, apply soothing Aloe Vera and moisturize often. Avoid picking peeling skin, and minimize itching by applying a cool cloth soaked in water or milk on affected areas. A cool shower can also help, but be sure to pat skin dry, as rubbing can cause more peeling and additional irritation.
Control Corrective Skincare Systems puts the power of beautiful skin into your hands. A clinical-based skincare brand since 1997, Control Corrective Skincare Systems offers comprehensive, collection-based skincare for both the professional seeking to offer superior professional solutions or the consumer looking for a user-friendly home care regimen. Available at finer salons and spas nationwide, the line offers a full range of skin care products that utilize the highest quality ingredients along with natural extracts, vitamins and essential oils.
Control Corrective Skincare Systems products are available through skincare professionals nationwide and at www.controlcorrective.com.