Let's talk skin
New Year Skin Resolutions
January 1, 2016
New Year Skin Resolutions
A spirit of optimism and determination is in the air as so many of us start January eager to make good on a fresh set of resolutions for the New Year. Whether it’s a personal promise to shed a few pounds or to eat better, these goals provide us an opportunity to bring purposeful focus to areas of our life we sometimes neglect.
This year, think outside of the box and consider the simple improvements you can make in your beauty and skincare routine. Are you guilty of sleeping on a makeup-smudged pillow at night? Is your bathroom cabinet filled with failed drugstore skincare products? Has your “occasional” sunscreen use earned you a few new age spots?
Remember, it’s not just your body that needs to stay tight and healthy – keeping your skin in great shape is just as important to maintaining an attractive appearance in 2015 and beyond.
As you set your resolutions this year, consider making these important – and achievable – goals for your skin:
- Befriend the facial mask. How can a facial mask benefit your skin? Oh, let us count the ways. This simple at-home treatment can help hydrate dry skin, calm inflammation and redness, reduce oil and keep complexions looking youthful. Bonus? Masks provide that spa-like, pampering effect – from the comfort of your living room! We recommend indulging at least twice per week for best results. Visit your esthetician to determine which mask is best for your unique skin type. Control offers several, appropriate for normal, dry and sensitive skin.
- Exfoliate regularly. Take cleansing to the next level this year by vowing to exfoliate twice a week. Adding this easy step to your skincare routine can bring new life to your complexion, from dredging away the debris that causes acne and a lackluster appearance, to reducing fine lines and dark spots. By getting rid of tired, dead cells, exfoliation speeds up skin renewal so that healthy, vibrant skin can emerge. Another win? Moisturizers, makeup and sunscreen can be better applied and absorbed to your new, clean-slate complexion. And fear not the scratchy scrubs of high school: a gentle product like Control’s Cucumber Bead Cleanser does double duty as a refreshing cleanser and exfoliant without any irritation or abrasion.
- Don’t make sunscreen secondary. It’s getting to be a tired line, but recent studies show that one-third of Americans still don’t use sunscreen, and the majority of those who do, are only occasional users. Whether we appeal to your health (nearly 5 million people are treated for skin cancer each year!) or your vanity (the sun is the number one culprit for premature aging!), you must get into the habit of wearing sunscreen every day and reapplying often. Not just in summer, not just at the beach. ALWAYS. Sun damage accumulates over time, so when you consider daily trips to the mailbox, driving with the windows down, eating lunch outside and other normal activities, your exposure may be greater than you think.
- Find a BEF. Not to be confused with your BFF (although she might soon be), we’re talking about your Best Esthetician Forever. You want to love your doctor, your hair stylist and your manicurist, and you should love and trust your skincare professional, as well. You want someone who can get to know your skin and help you manage it season by season. Getting recommendations from friends is a good place to start, but still do your research. Make sure you find an esthetician who is licensed; keeps a clean and tidy workspace; listens to your concerns; carries the skincare product lines you like; and prescribes homecare.
- Add something new to your routine. This is an especially important resolution for those who are reticent to change and always approach skincare the same way. While you don’t want to overhaul what always works for your skin, consider changing things up with the switch in seasons. Just like your wardrobe, your skincare also needs to shift to accommodate climate changes. Consider adding a serum like Control’s Redness Relief to your regular regimen during the winter months to ward off redness and irritation caused by dry, cold conditions; or swap out your usual sunscreen for an oil-free version during the warmer months. Control offers a great greaseless SPF 30 formula that doubles as a lightweight moisturizer.
Let’s resolve to have stunning skin in 2016!